WD SE16 SATA II hard drives combine 300 MB/s transfer rate and 16 MB cache for industry leading performance. These reliable drives are lightning fast, but they still deliver technologically advanced acoustics and cool operation. All WD SATA II hard drives use the new "cooler, faster, quieter" technology that Tom's Hardware Guide called "very fast and nearly silent." Serial ATA II is the next generation of Serial ATA and is completely backwards compatible to Serial ATA I. SATA II offers a 300 MB/s transfer rate, which is twice as fast as the prior specification. In a head-to-head matchup between WD's SATA I drive, the SATA II drive with a 16 MB cache outperformed its predecessor by 20% on the Business Winbench test. Note: You will need a SATA 300 MB/s compatible motherboard or controller card to get all the advantages of SATA 300 MB/s. Motherboards with some Via chipsets are not compatible with SATA 300/MBs drives. Chipsets VT8237, VT8237R, VT6420 and VT6421L will not detect the drive. This WD support article details several ways to handle this incompatibility.
- Fast - The one-two performance punch of 300 MB/s transfer rate, state-of-the-art performance for SATA drives, and 16 MB cache make the WD Caviar SE16 family the fastest desktop-class hard drives available. These SATA II drives feature a transfer rate thre
- Cool - Cool operation means the highest reliability even in high-heat environments such as personal video recorders. That's why these drives, the coolest on the market, are the drive of choice for the world's leading consumer electronics manufacturers as
- Quiet - WD have minimized noise to levels virtually below the threshold of human hearing with our WhisperDrive technology. And to cut seek noise, our SoftSeek technology streamlines read/write seeking algorithms, resulting in the drive operating more effi
- FlexPower - connector technology that accepts power from either industry-standard or new SATA power supplies
- Hot plug support - allows swapping hard drives without having to power off the system
- Backplane compatibility - uses the SATA industry standard connector which includes alignment ears and 3-stage electrical mating sequence, designed specifically for backplanes and hot pluggability
- SATA latching connector - provides a secure connection between the hard drive and the cable by using a locking latch mechanism